On May 9, 2016, Duterte won the Philippine presidential election with 38.5% of the votes. His domestic policy has focused on combating illegal drug trade by initiating the Philippine Drug War. Following criticism from United Nations human rights experts that extrajudicial killings had increased since the election, he threatened to withdraw the Philippines from the UN and form a new organization with China and African nations. His administration has also vowed to pursue an "independent foreign policy" that would reject any meddling by foreign governments. From Wikipedia
EQPost gives the "Un-Filipino of 2016 " dubious honor to Duterte for being pro🇨🇳puppet, the Marcoses' Man Friday
& for being uncouth, un-Christian.
“At what point do you say, ‘Enough is enough’? Well, the world has to say it — remember that the Sudetenland was given in an attempt to appease Hitler to prevent World War II.” P.Noy
Philippine’s President Rodrigo Duterte has flip-flopped on Manila’s South China Sea disputes again. After cozying up to China and announcing a “divorce” from Washington last month, Duterte now promises to respect defense treaties with “friend” and “ally” the United States, according to Reuters.
Did the unexpected US election outcome make him change his mind?
It’s hard to say. What isn’t hard to say is that Duterte’s flip-flops have been crushing Philippines’ equities, making investors uneasy about the stability of Philippines and the South China Sea Region.
Maintaining a tally on Philippines’ President’s position on South China Sea disputes is hard to do.
Duterte’s flip-flops began last July after an international arbitration ruling, which found that China has no historic title over the waters of the South China Sea.
That was a big victory for both the Philippines, which had filed the arbitration case, and its close ally the US, which wants South China Sea to be an open sea.
One month later, Duterte sent a loud and clear message to China: stay away from our territory or else face the possibility of a “bloody” confrontation.
Duterte’s warning came shortly before China hosted the G20 Leaders’ Summit, and soon after a Japan Times editorial revealed that China had set a “red line” for Japan in the South China Sea, raising tensions in the region.
Then came the big flop: Duterte decided to side with China in the dispute, and seek a “divorce” from the US.
Now, Duterte is telling the world that he didn’t mean to get a divorce from the US. When it comes to its military alliance with the US, that is.
Does he really mean it this time around?
Once again, it’s hard to say. But investors aren’t waiting for the answer. They are shunning Philippines’ equities.From NYT:
Mr. Duterte has close ties with the Marcos family, possibly including financial dealings that have raised questions of motives beyond national healing.
Mr. Duterte has acknowledged receiving a campaign contribution from Imee Marcos. He has not said how much the contribution was, nor reported it publicly. She has denied giving him money, saying Mr. Duterte “likes to make jokes.”
Another murky transaction has also raised eyebrows. In August, Mr. Duterte attacked a billionaire casino magnate, Roberto Ongpin, as an oligarch and publicly promised to destroy him. Mr. Ongpin quietly resigned from his own company and ended up selling his shares to Gregorio Araneta III, the husband of another Marcos daughter, Irene.
Mr. Ongpin has not publicly commented on the sale, but critics see the deal as a favor by Mr. Duterte to the Marcos family.
The Coalition Against the Marcos Burial at the Cemetery of Heroes, one of seven groups that sought to block the burial, said the former dictator’s family had “bought and paid” for the privilege of his transfer to the Philippine equivalent of Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.
Duterte has not further explained the campaign contribution. And the Marcos family and the government have not spoken publicly about the sale of the casino business.
There is potentially far greater money at stake, however. Of the estimated $10 billion the government says the Marcos family stole, the presidential commission charged with recovering it has recouped only $650 million.
Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has filed a protest at the Presidential Electoral Tribunal contesting his narrow loss, alleging vote-rigging. If he succeeds and becomes vice president, he could work to eliminate the commission, potentially leaving his family with more than $9 billion in ill-gotten gains.
The Duterte / Marcos Combination
The WORST that can happen to the Philippines!From New York Times:
MANILA — The torture was more than 40 years ago, but Loretta Rosales remembers it vividly.
Twice during the dictatorship of Ferdinand E. Marcos she was arrested by his henchmen for leading street protests. During her detention, she said, she was sexually molested, choked with a belt, given electric shocks and subjected to Russian roulette.
So the news that President Rodrigo Duterte wants to transfer Mr. Marcos’s remains to a heroes’ cemetery in Manila hit her in the gut.
“Now they want to make him a hero,” Ms. Rosales, a leftist politician who is now 77, said in a recent interview. Doing so would betray Mr. Marcos’s victims, she said, and whitewash the past.
“We have a right to the truth,” she said, “and so, too, do the generations after us.”
The debate over the reburial of Mr. Marcos, 30 years after he was ousted in the People Power uprising, has forced a national reckoning over a wrenching period of Philippine history.
Protesters on both sides have taken to the streets, and several groups opposed to the reburial have petitioned the Supreme Court to block it. The court is expected to rule on the petition on Tuesday.
Mr. Marcos, whose two-decade rule was notorious for its brutality and extravagance, fled the country in 1986 and died in the United States three years later. His government is believed to have killed more than 3,000 political opponents, tortured tens of thousands more and plundered up to $10 billion in government funds.
But his reputation has softened over time, and his burial in the Cemetery of Heroes would mark the latest step in a posthumous political rehabilitation.
His widow, Imelda, best known for the more than 1,000 pairs of shoes she left behind at the presidential palace in 1986, is now a member of Congress. His daughter Imee is the governor of Ilocos Norte Province, and his son, Ferdinand Jr., is a senator who came within a hair of winning the vice presidency in elections in May. Supporters portray the Marcos era as a time of economic growth and low crime, despite increasing poverty.
The family has found a staunch ally in Mr. Duterte, who has expressed admiration for Mr. Marcos and first promised to allow his reburial in May, before Mr. Duterte even took office. “I will allow the burial of Marcos in the Heroes’ Cemetery, not because he was a hero but because he was a Filipino soldier,” he said then.
In a trip to the family’s stronghold of Ilocos Norte last month, Mr. Duterte again argued that Mr. Marcos’s military service made him eligible.
“That is the law,” he said. “It is very clear to me that my decision is right.”
The government’s lawyer in the case, Solicitor General Jose Calida, said the reburial would provide the country much-needed closure.
“As the father of this nation, President Duterte desires to begin the long overdue healing of our nation and to exorcise the ghost of enmity and bitterness that prevent us from moving forward,” Mr. Calida told the Supreme Court.
Here are his most undiplomatic remarks:
“Obama, You must be respectful. Do not just throw away questions and statements. Son of a whore, I will curse you in that forum.”
Duterte, who has launched a war on crime that has claimed more than 2,400 lives, warns Obama not to raise human rights issues with him in their Laos meeting.
“I’m fighting with (US Secretary of State John Kerry’s) ambassador. His gay ambassador, the son of a whore. He p***ed me off.”
- Duterte in an August speech smarting over US Ambassador to Manila Philip Goldberg’s criticism of his comment about wanting to rape a “beautiful” Australian missionary.
“F*** you, UN, you can’t even solve the Middle East carnage... couldn’t even lift a finger in Africa... shut up, all of you.”
- Duterte in a June press conference, a seemingly unprovoked attack on the world body.
The grieving father of a suspected drug user killed by police in Manila. Photo: AFP
“Maybe we’ll just have to decide to separate from the United Nations. If you are that disrespectful, son of a whore, then I will just leave you.”
- Duterte in an August news briefing after a UN human rights expert said orders in his anti-crime crackdown violated international law. He later said he was just joking.
“Ban Ki-moon, he should write to me so that I will tell him: ‘You did nothing. People are being massacred by the thousands. You can’t stop (the war) in Turkey, Syria.’ So one useless, inutile body.”
- Duterte in an August press conference railing against the UN chief after Ban denounced his apparent endorsement of extrajudicial killings.
“I will go there on my own with a jet ski, bringing with me a flag and a pole and once I disembark, I will plant the flag on the runway and tell the Chinese authorities, ‘Kill me!’”
- Duterte in a February campaign speech explaining how he would handle Manila’s row with Beijing over the South China Sea. He has since adopted a more cautious tone.
“That’s the invention of a woman who wants to commit suicide. You can think of genocide, suicide or what, side by side, upper side, whatever, what if upper side or even upside?”
- Duterte launches a rambling verbal assault on Agnes Callamard, the UN special rapporteur on summary executions, after she accused him of violating international law with his statements seen as inciting people to kill.
“I burned the flag of Singapore. I said: ‘F*** you ... You are a garrison pretending to be a country.’”
- Duterte in a November speech, recalling how he burned in 1995 a Singapore flag to protest at the execution of a Filipina maid in the city-state.
“It took us five hours to get from the hotel to the airport. I asked who was coming. They said it was the Pope. I wanted to call him. ‘Pope, son of a whore, go home. Don’t visit anymore.’”
- Duterte in a May 2016 speech recalling being stuck in Manila traffic when Pope Francis visited the Philippines.