The EQ Post

TRUTH & TRUST. For God & Country. Fearless citizen journalism.Year 10.

one year

one year
#LTRFB: Your JOB is to improve mass transportation!Don't create havoc on the lives of commuters who depend on Uber & Grab for reliable and safe daily rides.

EQ Video

EQ Post HOME

Reflections

“How shall freedom be defended? By arms when it is attacked by arms, by truth when it is attacked by lies, by faith when it is attacked by authoritarian dogma. Always, in the final act, by determination and faith.”

― Archibald MacLeish

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Learn From History :How They Justified the "First" Martial Law in the Philippines!

Will Duterte Follow The Marcosian Playbook 
and Declare Martial Law?
Will the reign of terror in Malacanang  be similar 
to the Marcos Martial Law days?
Davao City – “Kung ilalagay ako ng Diyos na maging president, ang unang magdudusa ay ang Diyos” (If God places me in the presidency, the first one to suffer will be God Himself).” 
Mayor Duterte
From Durian Post Online
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte scared off those clamoring for him to run for president in 2016, with a warning he will do a Ferdinand Marcos if he is in Malacanang.
The late dictator Marcos ruled the country for more than two decades half of it under martial law, until People Power forced him to flee the country in 1986.
From GMA News:
It’s been reported that Juan Ponce Enrile admitted at a press conference with Fidel Ramos in February 1986 that the alleged plot to assassinate him on September 21, 1972 was a fake ambush used by the dictator Ferdinand Marcos as one of the justifications for martial rule.
However 40 years later, in an interview with news anchor Howie Severino on GMA News TV program “News To Go,” the former Defense Minister, who is also one of the prime architects of Marcos’ dictatorship, reiterated his claim that the 1972 ambush was not faked but staged.
It was a controversial claim he made in his newly launched book, "Juan Ponce Enrile: A Memoir,” and he went on to qualify the incident in this manner: "I said, the ambush was staged, but I did not say who staged it. I did not say that I staged it." 
But really? Faked or staged? Does it matter? Are they not the same?
From Inquirer:
In its research, the Inquirer also came upon several journalists who said that Enrile himself had admitted not only during the Feb. 22, 1986, press conference but also in several interviews that the ambush was fake.
In his 1988 book, “Waltzing with a Dictator,” New York Times reporter Raymond Bonner wrote that while Enrile’s wife, Cristina, said that God had saved her husband, “God had had nothing to do with it. Marcos and Enrile had staged the  ‘ambush,’ as the final justification for martial law.”
Bonner said he had two long interviews with Enrile in December 1985. “He was emphatic that the attack on him had not been staged, but in February 1986, after he had broken with Marcos and led the revolt that ousted the Philippine president, Enrile admitted that the attack on his car had been faked,” Bonner wrote.
“Several American intelligence officers told me that the car attack was phony. ‘Flimflam,’ said one,” Bonner added.
In her 1989 book, “Impossible Dream,” Time correspondent Sandra Burton wrote: “Seasoned observers believed from the start that the attack had been staged. Years later, as he was in the midst of his own revolt from the Marcos regime, Enrile would confirm those suspicions.”
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Katherine Ellison also said that Enrile himself admitted that the ambush was fake.
In her 1988 book, “Imelda,” Ellison wrote: “(Enrile) revealed that he had narrowly escaped injury in a spectacular ambush of his car—an event he conceded in 1986 had been staged.”
In his 1986 book, “The Quartet of the Tiger Moon,” National Artist Nick Joaquin wrote about the people’s reaction to the “confession” of a certain Capt. Ricardo Morales about an alleged plot to attack Malacañang and kill Marcos:
“The ‘confession’ sounded hollow to people who had just heard Enrile reveal that the 1972 attempt on his life was staged to give Mr. Marcos an excuse to declare martial law. People sneered that Marcos was so used to faking (fake feats, fake medals, fake literary works, fake health) that he would fake even his own assassination and death.”
Lopez remembers
Oscar Lopez, who lived in Wack Wack where the ambush supposedly took place, narrated his memory of that fateful night in the 2000 book, “Phoenix: The Saga of the Lopez Family.”
“After the shooting died down, I went out. I took a peek at what was happening outside my fence, and I saw this car riddled with bullets. Nobody was hurt; there was no blood. The car was empty,” Lopez said in the book.
The car was Enrile’s. At the time, Lopez did not know who owned the car, but he did know “it had been no ambush.”
“Our driver happened to be bringing our car into our driveway at around that time, so he saw the whole thing. He told me that there was this car that came by and stopped beside a Meralco post. Some people started riddling it with bullets to make it look like it was ambushed. But nobody got killed or anything like that. My driver saw this. He was describing it to me,” Lopez said.
Lopez said he decided to call the Manila Chronicle, which was owned then by his family. “My first move was to call up the Chronicle. I told the people that there had been some shooting here in Wack Wack. They sent somebody over, but he was told that Enrile was supposedly ambushed. But I knew even then that the attack had been staged. Enrile admitted that it was all staged afterwards. But Marcos used this incident as a pretext to declare martial law.”
In his column posted on the Sun.Star Cebu website, lawyer Pachico Seares recalled: “In February 1986, while barricading with then PC chief Fidel Ramos in Camp Aguinaldo, after President Ferdinand Marcos learned they were plotting against him, JPE told the nation the ambush was staged. On radio, he confessed that Marcos ordered the bogus attack and called it the ‘final act’ by his enemies and, as the President said 14 years earlier, the ‘last straw’ that made him declare martial law.”
Duterte's “State Of Lawlessness”, 
A Simulation For Martial Law?
From Inquirer:
President Duterte early today said he was declaring a “state of lawlessness” in the whole country, following a deadly explosion at a bustling night market in his hometown of Davao City.
Mr. Duterte was quick to say that this was not martial law.
“I’m declaring now a state of lawlessness. It is not martial law. It has nothing to do with the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus,” he told reporters after inspecting the blast site shortly before dawn.
The declaration will remain until he decides that it is safe for everybody.
He said the state of lawlessness means there will be more security forces around the country carrying out his instructions.
“Any punitive or any action taken by the security forces would be in furtherance to stop terrorism,” he said.
“And I am including drugs because of so many killings unfairly attributed to the police, as if they are the handiwork of the police,” he said.
‘Bato’ blasts critics: Davao explosion not gov’t handiwork
From Inquirer
Philippine National Police chief Dir. Gen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa took offense at some critics accusing the Duterte administration of orchestrating the deadly explosion in Davao City, the President’s hometown, to justify an eventual declaration of martial law in the country.

“Napakasakit naman na akusasyon ‘yan. Mahal na mahal po ni Presidente ‘yung aming siyudad ng Davao. Hindi niya kayang gawin ‘yan (That accusation is really painful. The President and I love our home city of Davao. We cannot do something like that). We’ve already had enough of heartaches already,” dela Rosa said in a hastily called press conference at Camp Crame before flying to Davao City.
Moments after the blast that hit the crowded night market on Roxas Avenue there, President Duterte placed the entire country under a state of lawless violence, ordering the military and police to bolster campaign against terrorism.
The President was quick to clarify that he would not declare martial law but “it would require nationwide, well-coordinated efforts of the military and the police.”
Dela Rosa, also a native of Davao del Sur, belied “unfair” claims that what Duterte had declared was a prelude to martial law.
“Nakailang bomba na po ‘yung Davao since I became a policeman at ramdam po namin ‘yung sakit kapag ikaw ay na-bomba  tapos i-accuse mo pa sa Presidente na kagagawan ng gobyerno?” added the police chief.
(Davao has been bombed several times since I became a policeman, and we are pained each time we are bombed, and yet you accuse the President that that may be the handiwork of the President?)
“That’s a very unfair accusation at ako mismo naaaburido ang ulo ko kapag naririnig ko ‘yan (I myself am irritated each time I hear that). Sorry,” he said.
The PNP chief said critics, particularly those from human rights groups, questioning Duterte’s move should just keep quiet and cooperate with the government in its fight against terrorists.
“‘Yong mga human rights groups na mag-question, dapat tumulong na lang sila para walang bomba na sasabog sa ating bansa. Tutulong na lang sila sana. Huwag na sila mag-question. Wala pa ngang ginawa question na sila,” he said.
(Human rights groups who are questioning the government’s moves, they should just help out so that there’ll be no more bombing in our country. They should just contribute, and not question us. They have not done anything yet, and they are already questioning us.)
“Sana naman in times like this, tayong mga Pilipino, tayo ay tinamaan. Sana po tayo ay magkakaisa para naman hindi tayo magkawatak-watak (I hope that in times like this, we Filipinos are the ones being attacked. We should unite and not be divided),” dela Rosa added.
From TIME
Philippine President Duterte Threatens ‘Martial Law’ if His Drugs War is Hindered
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte threatened on Tuesday to declare “martial law” in the country if its judiciary gets in the way of his national war on illegal drugs, the Philippine Daily Inquirer reports.
Such bombastic remarks are characteristic of Duterte, who took the Philippines’ highest office in June after serving for years as the mayor of the city of Davao. In Davao, he made his reputation as an unorthodox enforcer with no tolerance for the illegal drug trade — a campaign he has carried into federal office. Hundreds have died in the so-called “war on drugs” since his inauguration.
His comments on Tuesday come amid an ongoing spat with the country’s judiciary. Earlier this week, Duterte released a comprehensive list of judges, politicians, and military personnel whom he alleged were involved in the narcotics trade. The country’s Chief Justice, Lourdes Sereno, responded in a letter questioning his legal procedure, but Duterte seems undeterred.
“Don’t create a crisis because I will order everybody in the executive department not to honor you,” the President said before a military audience Tuesday, in reference to Sereno.
According to the Inquirer, Duterte added: “You want me to be frank? You’re interfering.”