EQ Post

"It's all about TRUTH and TRUST." The EQualizer Post
The EQ Post-The world's best citizen journalism for YOU, the Global Pinoy.Year 7 of fearless and independent citizen journalism.
The EQualizer Post traces its journalistic roots to the " Ang Suga " newspaper, the first newspaper printed in Cebuano (1900).



The EQ Prayer

The EQ Prayer
Will The Philippines and America elect Women Presidents in their 2016 Presidential Elections?

EQ video

EQ Post HOME

New EQ Post For Mobile Phones

Read The EQ Post in the NEW "Picture Window" presentation in your mobile phones now.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

EQ Breaking News: Coup rumors versus P.NOY (When will we ever learn???)

The Best President So Far...
Call P.Noy by any name:
Mr.Clean
Honesto
Pork Barrel King
TIME Man of The Year
Brave Bald Eagle
David versus China's Bully
Hindi Magnanakaw!
Feel free to call him by whatever name (good or bad) you want. But one thing for sure, President Noynoy Aquino is the single most important Pinoy who has shaped up, for better or for worse, the events of the year 2014 in the Philippines.
The Brave Bald Eagle
Is he doing a good job? Definitely YES!
By William Pesek, The Sydney Morning Herald
It is often a fool's errand to predict turning points in the more erratic Asian economies. Nowhere is that truer than the Philippines, whose greatest consistency seems to be disappointing the optimists.
With Europe sliding, America limping, Japan shrinking and the once-unstoppable China slowing, it's anyone's guess where the Philippines might be in three years. At the risk of looking foolish in, say, 2015, I think it will be in a far better place than it has been in a decade.
My faith rests on four things that Benigno Aquino has done since assuming the presidency in June 2010. These were moves that mark a keen understanding of what ails Asia's 12th-biggest economy and flashes of courage that were absent in his three predecessors.
Learn From Thailand!
Thailand's military forcefully removed the nation's elected government two days after declaring martial law, posing new risks to a U.S. ally that is rapidly losing appeal to the investors and tourists who have fueled its economic growth.
From 1986 to 1987, there were six plots to overthrow Philippine President Corazon Aquino involving various members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines. A significant number of the military participants in these attempts belonged to the Reform the Armed Forces Movement (RAM), while others were identified loyalists of former President Ferdinand Marcos, who had been deposed in the People Power Revolution in February 1986. Two attempts—the November 1986 "God Save the Queen Plot" and the July 1987 plot—were uncovered and quashed by authorities before they could be operationalised. The other plots were repelled with little or no violence, the deadliest being the August 1987 coup attempts which left 53 dead.
An even more serious coup attempt would be staged against the Aquino government in December 1989. Following the plot's failure, President Aquino established a fact-finding commission headed by then-COMELEC Chairman Hilario Davide, Jr. The report would become known as the Davide Commission Report, and it was mandated to investigate and provide a full report on the series of coup attempts against the Aquino government.From Wikipedia
By Manny Mogato, Reuters
MANILA - Philippine soldiers should keep clear of politics, the military's new chief said on Wednesday, as rumors of a possible coup swirled in the capital after the Supreme Court declared President Benigno Aquino III's economic stimulus fund illegal.

The 120,000-member armed forces had a history of coups and attempted coups. Last month, rumors sprang up of a plot against the Aquino administration because of the fund scandal.

"We should be reminded that as members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, we should remain professional and non-partisan," military chief Lieutenant-General Pio Gregorio Catapang told troops at an air base in Pampanga province, north of Manila.

"The DAP (Disbursement Acceleration Program) has become a political issue. We should allow the democratic process to take its course and let the judicial, the executive and legislative branches of government deal with this," he said. "We should not meddle (but) concentrate on our mission."

Aquino, the only son of the country's democracy icon, former president Corazon Aquino, is facing the biggest challenge to his four-year rule after his popularity ratings dropped to the lowest levels last month.

His Disbursement Allocation Program was a 145-billion-peso ($3.34-billion) fund to boost public spending, but some of the money went to allies in Congress in violation of the constitution, the Supreme Court ruled.

Aquino has become politically vulnerable to his opponents who have mobilized street protests ahead of his State of the Nation Address before a joint session of Congress next week.

"You cannot discount the range of possible scenarios in which the plotters would resort to extra-constitutional measures," said Ramon Casiple, executive director of the Institute for Political and Electoral Reforms, an independent advocacy group. From ABS-CBN News

From Wikipedia
History:1986–90 Philippine coup attempts
Manila Hotel plot
The first occurred on 6 July 1986, when some 490 armed soldiers and 15,000 civilians loyal to former President Ferdinand Marcos occupied the Manila Hotel for 37 hours.[1] At the hotel, Marcos's vice-presidential running mate Arturo Tolentino announced that Marcos had authorised him to temporarily take over the government, took his oath as Acting President, and designated a cabinet.[1] The public remained generally unaffected by this incident,[2] and it ended without violence by 8 July.[3]

God Save the Queen Plot
A more serious conspiracy unfolded some months later known as the "God Save the Queen Plot".[4] The Davide Commission concluded that National Defense Secretary Enrile and members of the Reform the Armed Forces Movement (RAM) were behind the plot.[5] Scheduled for 11 November 1986, the plot was discovered by government several days in advance and was deliberately leaked to the Philippine Daily Inquirer, thus thwarting the plan.[6] The government then learnt that the plot was rescheduled for 22 November 1986.[7] On November 22, the military was placed on red alert and the rebel troops were blockaded, leading them to return to barracks.[8] The following day, Aquino announced she had sacked Enrile as Defense Secretary and that she would revamp her Cabinet, "to give the government a chance to start all over again."[9]

GMA-7 incident
From 27-29 January 1987, around 100 soldiers led by Colonel Oscar Canlas seized the main compound of GMA Network in Quezon City,[10] while other troops attempted in vain to capture Sangley Point Air Force Base in Cavite.[11] One rebel soldier was killed, while 35 people were injured.[12]

Black Saturday incident
On Black Saturday 1987 (18 April), 56 rebel soldiers staged a raid on Fort Bonifacio. It was repelled within the morning, with one rebel soldier dead.[13]

MIA plot
In July 1987, a plot to stage another coup attempt through a military takeover of the Manila International Airport was uncovered before it could be implemented, with four officers being court-martialled for the plot.[14]

August 1987 coup attempt
On 28 August 1987, the most serious attempt up to then to overthrow Aquino's government was launched by members of the Reform the Armed Forces Movement led by Colonel Gregorio Honasan, who had been a former top aide of Enrile.[15] In the early morning of the 28th, rebel soldiers launched an attack on Malacañan Palace. The siege was repelled within a few hours, with several military and civilian casualties including Aquino's son, current President Benigno Aquino III, who was wounded.[16] Honasan himself led the soldiers that seized portions of Camp Aguinaldo, including the headquarters of the Department of National Defense.[17] Rebel soldiers also seized parts of Villamor Airbase, three television stations in Manila, military camps in Pampanga and Cebu, and the airport in Legaspi City.[18] Various statements broadcast by the rebels referred to "the overindulgence in politics which now pervades in society",[19] the supposed mishandling of the communist insurgency, and the deplorable economic condition of the military rebels.[20] By day's end, government troops were able to recapture most of the rebel-held facilities, and the coup had fizzled out by the 29th. 53 were dead and more than 200 wounded;[21] many of the fatalities were unarmed civilians who were fired upon by rebels after they were jeered by the crowd.[21] Honasan himself evaded capture, while Enrile (by then a Senator), denied involvement in the coup.[21]

Following the coup attempt, the Aquino government seemingly veered to the right, dismissing perceived left-leaning officials such as Executive Secretary Joker Arroyo and tacitly authorising the establishment of armed, quasi-military groups to combat the ongoing communist insurgency.[22] It was also believed that General Fidel Ramos–who remained loyal to Aquino–emerged as the second most-powerful person in government following his successful quelling of the coup.[23] Across-the-board wage increases for soldiers were also granted.[24] Aquino herself meanwhile sued Philippine Star columnist Louie Beltran for libel after he wrote that the President hid under her bed when the Palace was under siege.

January 1989 plot
On 5 January 1989, some soldiers seized Camp Cawa-Cawa in Zamboanga City. Rizal Alih killed seven people, including General Eduardo Batallia and Colonel Romeo Abendan of the Philippine Constabulary.

Government troops fired at and bombarded the camp, which later collapsed. The camp was then rebuilt and was renamed in memory of General Batallia. Alih meanwhile escaped south to Malaysia, and was arrested in 2009 in a manhunt operation and sentenced to life imprisonment.

December 1989 coup attempt
On 1 December 1989, three rebel T-28D Trojans (Tora-Tora) raked Malacañan Palace with rockets and gunfire. The rebel soldiers wrongly assumed that they achieved air superiority by effectively neutralising the assets of the 5th Fighter Wing of the Philippine Air Force. Rebel soldiers in Mactan successfully trapped most of the F-5s and combat-ready pilots, preventing them from interfering with rebel operations. Meanwhile at Basa Air Base, only three F-5A and an F-5B remained partial mission capability.

Squadron Commander ACER Atienza of the 6th Fighter Squadron ordered his maintenance crew to expedite bringing the F-5s back to full operation. Later that same day, three F-5s under Atienza's command fought the rebel T-28s, culminating in the destruction of the Tora-Tora on the ground at Sangley Point.

The elimination of the T-28s turned the tide against the rebels, but at the cost of the F-5A flown by Atienza, who died in one of the strafing runs. Atienza was posthumously awarded the Medal of Valor for his heroism, and the airfield at Sangley Point was renamed in his memory.

March 1990 coup attempt
On 4 March 1990, suspended Cagayan Governor Rodolfo Aguinaldo and his armed men of 200 seized Hotel Delfino in the provincial capital of Tuguegarao as a result of the previous failed coup against President Aquino. Brigader General Oscar Florendo, his chauffeur, four members of the civilian staff, and several others were held hostage, led an another mutiny to end. Several hours later, a gunfight ensued intending to kill Aguinaldo and his men, and one of them was found dead in a checkpoint shootout. Brigadier General Florendo and twelve others were also dead and ten more wounded, while Aguinaldo was slightly wounded in a vehicular gunfight, later fleeing to the mountains.

October 1990 coup attempt
The last coup attempt against President Aquino happened on 4 October 1990, when mutinying soldiers staged a dawn raid on an army base in Mindanao. The seizure lasted for two days, ending with Brigadier General Danilo Lim and 21 others capitulating to the government on 6 October.
A Thai soldier stands guard in Bangkok Thursday after the military seized power. It is the 19th coup since Thailand ended absolute monarchy in 1932. Sakchai Lalit/Associated Press
From WSJ
BANGKOK—Thailand's military forcefully removed the nation's elected government two days after declaring martial law, posing new risks to a U.S. ally that is rapidly losing appeal to the investors and tourists who have fueled its economic growth.
Army leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha made formal his power grab taking over the duties of prime minister after failing to broker an end to a seven-month feud pitting the government against protesters who sought to replace it with a royally appointed administration.
Washington declared the takeover a coup, which could prompt the U.S. to curtail cooperation and aid.
"While we value our long friendship with the Thai people, this act will have negative implications for the U.S.-Thai relationship, especially for our relationship with the Thai military," Secretary of State John Kerry said. The Pentagon said it was reviewing its military relationship with Thailand but no decisions had been made.